Following the success of daughter no 2 and her hoodie I was asked to make another for no 1. I bought the same speckled sweatshirting fabric from Guthrie and Ghani. I’ve now bought this fabric in orange (Linden sweatshirt), Green (Linden sweatshirt), oatmeal (Stoff and Still hoodie) and this yellow (Stoff and Still hoodie). I’ve still got the navy blue to make up. I love the multicoloured speckles in the fabric !
Th making is straightforward and I made no changes even though no 1 is much smaller than no 2. She’s just got a baggier top, which is a style she is very happy with.
The hood on this one is lined with a jersey from C+H I used to make a lady skater dress last year.
Back view. Again I used the sweatshirt fabric for the hem band and cuffs.
I have also made no 1 a long plain grey jersey skirt. I have made her a similar garment in the past but it is now worn out and she wanted it replaced. I bought a lightweight grey jersey for a very reasonable price but I can’t remember where from which tells me I have been buying too much fabric if I have lost track of it. Even though it’s a really simple shape I bought a pattern. (Which has since disappeared from the Stoff and Stil website)
There is just one pattern piece, cut twice, although I did make another pattern piece for pockets which I inserted in the side seams using the technique from my Alphonse trousers. After all what use is a skirt without pockets ? The pattern has splits up the side but I made it without and there is plenty of room for walking. No 1’s main criteria for a garment being that she can move in any direction at any time without restriction, she is very keen on yoga.
I left out the decorative drawstring on the waist and just did a simple elastic casing.
No 1 is very pleased with her new garments although I always tell her I am sure I get just as much pleasure making for her as she does in the receiving.
This is my week 3 weekly make for MeMadeMay 2017. Aside from wearing me made garments every day in May I am also making a weekly garment, this week there are two.
The first is from this Butterick pattern.
I don’t recall where this pattern came from (it smells very musty…), I can only conclude it was purchased for a school DT project, or given to me in a bundle of old patterns from a friend. Anyway it was uncut and free.
I decided to make it up in a cotton that I bought at the knitting and stitching show earlier in the year. I think this cotton is GORGEOUS, I love the texture, I love the colours and I got the roll end of 2.3m for £2.00 a metre and the last bit thrown in for free so £4.00 total. It a medium weight, slightly looser weave than a poplin and with a slight seersucker texture.
The basic skirt is a straight skirt with a false wrap over panel across the front with a rouleau tie and a split up one side. The front is flat and the back is elasticated. It looks simple but was actually more complicated than I thought. There is a lot of edging, around the wrap over, the waistband, the hems and its all done at different times in the construction. I also had to keep an eye on the fabric as the front and backs are remarkably similar but there IS a difference. I made view B the long plain skirt.
My £2.00 top is made from the Linden sweatshirt pattern (which I have already used 3 times) with a metre of fabric I bought from Fabricland last year with a view to making some pants from it. Unfortunately it didn’t have enough stretch for those so it has been languishing in the cupboard ever since. The fabric is a 2 way stretch cotton jersey with little ‘bubbles’ in stripes in the fabric like a 1960’s swimming costume.
I have tried to match up the stripes evenly on both sides and made the neck binding from a strip of the ‘bubbles’.
Progress from the sewing classes I have been taking is I have now got a calico from my 4th iteration of my bodice block and it still doesn’t fit…….look at that neckline ! But the bust is now under control….(its much better on)
Roll on Monday !
This is the second of my promised weekly makes for MeMadeMay2017. The fabric is a medium weight cotton supposedly Liberty which was a gift from one of my daughters for Christmas.
I was given a 2m piece of this and originally wanted to make a pair of summer trousers BUT the fabric is only 90cm wide so must be quite old and not enough for trousers. I therefore decided to make a little skirt but make it with extra care due to the provenance of the fabric.
I used the Tweed A line mini skirt hack of the Lace pencil skirt pattern in the GBSB ‘Fashion with Fabric’ book, mainly because those are both lined skirts and I wanted to line this make. I used a plain red lightweight cotton muslin for the lining. I cut a size 14 but although the pattern measured ok I ended up taking about 6cm off the hips altogether.
I followed the instructions up to the zip insertion, but as I had an ordinary zip as opposed to an invisible zip I had to make it up from there which caused a bit of head scratching but I am really pleased with the result.
I also faced the waistband, under stitched the facing and attached it at the side seams and dart seams. I have just finished the facing with overlock stitching.
The hem is finished with satin bias tape.
The skirt fits nicely but I have given up trying to take photos of myself wearing my makes, I’m totally incompetent.
I have also labelled the skirt with my own label, a packet of which has just arrived from Wunderlabel
In other sewing excitement I have taken the advice of The Material Lady and have found a relatively local sewing teacher, the rather wonderful Gail Ames. Whilst I have enjoyed sewing for years I know NOTHING !! I’ve really enjoyed the first few sessions and looking forward to many more……