The patchwork bedcover -progress

So I have now finished my first ever patchwork and quilted item. Since my previous post I have swapped out the two offending adjacent pickle jar items as I knew they would get progressively more annoying.

I also found some 3mm organic bamboo/cotton batting at a local shop which doesn’t even sell dressmaking fabric !

IMG_7477

Armed with the batting I set about tacking it to the patchwork top as per the instructions in my little book….this was absolutely backbreaking work as it took me 5 1/2 hours crawling around on the floor to achieve and I had to do it all in one go as it took up the whole floor and there is a limit to the family’s patience being required to tiptoe around the edge of it.

IMG_7332                                               IMG_7331

IMG_7333

I purchased some 250 cm wide red 100% cotton sheeting from eBay for the backing and quite coincidentally came upon a giant wooden reel of vintage red ’embroidery’ thread at a local village fair which is really thick and which I thought would be perfect for the quilting and finishing thread for the project.

IMG_7465

Once more back to the floor to pin the backing onto the batting/patchwork and then to the sewing machine.

I attached the quilting table that came with my sewing machine and which has never been used and got going. I really needed the large flat sewing surface that this provided. As the squares for this project are so big it was a relatively straightforward if time consuming  task sew the three layers together.

IMG_7463

Then came attaching the edging and learning the air of the mitred corner both of which are also made with the same scraps as I have used for the patchwork top and LO ! I have a bedcover.

IMG_7461

I am so pleased with it although having seen some properly made quilts exhibited at the village fair where I purchased the thread I realise it is a very amateur effort. Nonetheless I am still thrilled to bits with it.

IMG_7467

IMG_7473.JPG

 

The patchwork bedcover -progress

The Marilla Walker Roberts jumpsuit.

“Ooh” I say to my daughter, “I’ve seen this really nice dungarees pattern, would you be a recipient if I were to make them”?

“Yes” she said, “can I see the pattern” ? So I sent her the link to Marilla Walker and asked her to look at the Roberts pattern.

This was the response I got

“nice!!
I would very much like this!
do i get to make decisions about it, or are you going to make what you want to make?”

I replied “You can input”

“ok!!!!
very thanks
well i like the top style best where it’s basically a whole jumpsuit
and i think i’d prefer it if it had a low-ish round neckline and no sleeves”12887349_10156680772840486_945903179_o

“Ok! And if im actually going to wear it these are my criteria: I can sit and kneel and curl into a ball comfortably without it being too tight on my shoulders
I have to be able to comfortably move my legs in any direction
Which is rare even in shop dungarees”

HA flipping HA !

So I rifled through my old patterns from the 1980’s which is when I was about the same size as daughter is now and came across this which incredibly fitted pretty seamlessly onto the Roberts jumpsuit bottoms.

IMG_3617

I ordered the paper pattern as I thought it would be easier than the PDF for such a big garment and sat back to wait for the postman. Unfortunately the pattern was one of two items where delivery was ‘attempted’ during the only 5 minutes in the day where I had popped out to hang up the washing so I had to go to the post office the next day to collect. EXCEPT…when I got there they had my fabric parcel but they had lost the pattern ! I was not impressed, not at all…I think they got the message because a Post Office employee turned up at our front door at 6.30pm with the missing pattern and many apologies….

So a day wasted and I was eager to crack on with my project, too eager..because the first mistake I made was to do the first lap felled seams in opposite directionsIMG_3551

I knew this would really annoy me if I carried on so had to unpick, but due to having trimmed the seam the pattern piece was now too small so I had to cut another one. I merrily carried on through steps 1,2 and 3 and then pinned the resulting ‘back’ onto my mannequin when I was horrified to see that I had made a really major error (MORE HASTE, LESS SPEED)

IMG_3554

That ‘V’ is supposed to be the other way round, pointing upwards. SO…more unpicking and reconstructing but on a large scale which took me nearly 2 hours !!

IMG_3555

Once I had got this bit right the garment started coming together nicely. Due to having changed the construction of the top I had to make some armhole bindingsIMG_3558I bought these two bias tapes but didn’t really like either of them so in the end I made my own from scraps from a dress that I had made for the same daughter previously which I was much happier with. I used this same fabric for the pocket lining and the neck, button and buttonhole facings as well as the hem .IMG_3565        IMG_3560

With the intended recipient being 150 miles away, daughter 3 had to be the initial model although being 5 inches taller and a dress size larger the fit is a bit snugger than it should be but I was pleased with the initial impression.

IMG_3576

IMG_3582

Daughter 1 for whom the garment was made came home today and this is how it looks on her

IMG_3595          IMG_3596    IMG_3602

IMG_3611

Apart from my initial incompetence I am really pleased with how this project turned out, I haven’t ‘bodged’ any of the elements and daughter says “10/10 top quality garment”

Can’t say fairer than that….

 

 

The Marilla Walker Roberts jumpsuit.