So I have now finished my first ever patchwork and quilted item. Since my previous post I have swapped out the two offending adjacent pickle jar items as I knew they would get progressively more annoying.
I also found some 3mm organic bamboo/cotton batting at a local shop which doesn’t even sell dressmaking fabric !
Armed with the batting I set about tacking it to the patchwork top as per the instructions in my little book….this was absolutely backbreaking work as it took me 5 1/2 hours crawling around on the floor to achieve and I had to do it all in one go as it took up the whole floor and there is a limit to the family’s patience being required to tiptoe around the edge of it.
I purchased some 250 cm wide red 100% cotton sheeting from eBay for the backing and quite coincidentally came upon a giant wooden reel of vintage red ’embroidery’ thread at a local village fair which is really thick and which I thought would be perfect for the quilting and finishing thread for the project.
Once more back to the floor to pin the backing onto the batting/patchwork and then to the sewing machine.
I attached the quilting table that came with my sewing machine and which has never been used and got going. I really needed the large flat sewing surface that this provided. As the squares for this project are so big it was a relatively straightforward if time consuming task sew the three layers together.
Then came attaching the edging and learning the air of the mitred corner both of which are also made with the same scraps as I have used for the patchwork top and LO ! I have a bedcover.
I am so pleased with it although having seen some properly made quilts exhibited at the village fair where I purchased the thread I realise it is a very amateur effort. Nonetheless I am still thrilled to bits with it.