Simple Sew – Cocoon Dress

This week I have mainly been sewing the Simple Sew Cocoon Dress which I saw in this version on Pinterest Pigeon Wishes Cocoon Dress. I loved the shape in this version, looked it up and saw that it came with a Sew Now magazine which I bought.

The pattern comes with a sleeved and a sleeveless version and I decided to make the sleeveless version. There are 6 pattern pieces, front and back facings, front and back pieces, sleeves and pockets. I decided to try the pattern with some soft denim that I recently bought from the sale section of the Minerva Crafts website for no other reason than it was £3.99/metre and with no particular project in mind.

The make was quite straightforward although there were no instructions for under stitching the facing which I think is essential for the neck to sit nicely.

I’m very pleased with how it has turned out. For a simple silhouette, it looks quite smart.

IMG_7546                                   IMG_7539

 

So pleased in fact, that I wanted to make another version while the pattern was on my table.

Some time ago I read a blog post about a sweater dress from Emily of Self Assembly Required  I had sweater dress envy and thought I could make a sweater dress from the Cocoon Dress pattern, so I did…

I had quite a lot of loose knit fleece left over from when I made some Bethouias and I know this fabric just gets nicer every time it’s washed. This time I made the sleeved version and finished the sleeves and hem with sweatshirt style bands. It has turned out to be the sort of garment for an evening on the beach when the sun is going down and it’s beginning to get a bit chilly, or maybe for yoga nidra in the winter….

IMG_7533

This pattern gets a thumbs up from me.

Simple Sew – Cocoon Dress

The patchwork bedcover -progress

So I have now finished my first ever patchwork and quilted item. Since my previous post I have swapped out the two offending adjacent pickle jar items as I knew they would get progressively more annoying.

I also found some 3mm organic bamboo/cotton batting at a local shop which doesn’t even sell dressmaking fabric !

IMG_7477

Armed with the batting I set about tacking it to the patchwork top as per the instructions in my little book….this was absolutely backbreaking work as it took me 5 1/2 hours crawling around on the floor to achieve and I had to do it all in one go as it took up the whole floor and there is a limit to the family’s patience being required to tiptoe around the edge of it.

IMG_7332                                               IMG_7331

IMG_7333

I purchased some 250 cm wide red 100% cotton sheeting from eBay for the backing and quite coincidentally came upon a giant wooden reel of vintage red ’embroidery’ thread at a local village fair which is really thick and which I thought would be perfect for the quilting and finishing thread for the project.

IMG_7465

Once more back to the floor to pin the backing onto the batting/patchwork and then to the sewing machine.

I attached the quilting table that came with my sewing machine and which has never been used and got going. I really needed the large flat sewing surface that this provided. As the squares for this project are so big it was a relatively straightforward if time consuming  task sew the three layers together.

IMG_7463

Then came attaching the edging and learning the air of the mitred corner both of which are also made with the same scraps as I have used for the patchwork top and LO ! I have a bedcover.

IMG_7461

I am so pleased with it although having seen some properly made quilts exhibited at the village fair where I purchased the thread I realise it is a very amateur effort. Nonetheless I am still thrilled to bits with it.

IMG_7467

IMG_7473.JPG

 

The patchwork bedcover -progress