Another Stoff and Stil Hoodie and a Stoff and Stil skirt

Following the success of daughter no 2 and her hoodie I was asked to make another for no 1. I bought the same speckled sweatshirting fabric from¬†Guthrie and Ghani. I’ve now bought this fabric in orange (Linden sweatshirt), Green (Linden sweatshirt), oatmeal (Stoff and Still hoodie) and this yellow (Stoff and Still hoodie). I’ve still got the navy blue to make up. I love the multicoloured speckles in the fabric !

Th making is straightforward and I made no changes even though no 1 is much smaller than no 2. She’s just got a baggier top, which is a style she is very happy with.IMG_7258

The hood on this one is lined with a jersey from C+H I used to make a lady skater dress last year.

IMG_7254

Back view. Again I used the sweatshirt fabric for the hem band and cuffs.IMG_7251

I have also made ¬†no 1 a long plain grey jersey skirt. I have made her a similar garment in the past but it is now worn out and she wanted it replaced. I bought a lightweight grey jersey for a very reasonable price but I can’t remember where from which tells me I have been buying too much fabric if I have lost track of it. Even though it’s a really simple shape I bought a pattern. (Which has since disappeared from the Stoff and Stil website)IMG_7265

There is just one pattern piece, cut twice, although I did make another pattern piece for pockets which I inserted in the side seams using the technique from my Alphonse trousers. After all what use is a skirt without pockets ? The pattern has splits up the side but I made it without and there is plenty of room for walking. No 1’s main criteria for a garment being that she can move in any direction at any time without restriction, she is very keen on yoga.

IMG_7245

IMG_7247

I left out the decorative drawstring on the waist and just did a simple elastic casing.

IMG_7259 2.jpg

No 1 is very pleased with her new garments although I always tell her I am sure I get just as much pleasure making for her as she does in the receiving.

 

 

Another Stoff and Stil Hoodie and a Stoff and Stil skirt

Republique du Chiffon pantalon Alphonse

IMG_7081

Well, these look nice don’t they ? I saw a pair somewhere on Pinterest and immediately went to The Republique du Chiffon website to check them out. I found the pattern BUT it appears to only be available in French. So what ? I’ve watched every episode of Cousu Main (the French equivalent of the Great British sewing Bee) at least twice and I’m sure I must have picked up some french sewing terms and there’s always Google translate ! What could go wrong ?

IMG_7082

So, these are a trouser inspired by masculine clothing, loose fitting due to the front pleats with a mid rise. Oh…and pockets, beautiful side pockets.

I decided to make these from a wheaty/grey mid weight drapey pure linen that I bought last year from ditto fabrics. Such lovely fabric !

IMG_6807

The instructions actually aren’t that hard to follow even in French and there are clear diagrams to follow. The Cousu Main programmes came in handy, especially when it came to the ‘Braguette’ (Fly front).

The pockets are fitted so cleverly and neatly into the side seams and are a very good size.

IMG_7122             IMG_7123

Another detail I really like is that the belt loops are incorporated into the waistband construction which makes them a thing of beauty in their own right.

IMG_6822

I know, I know, that belt loop isn’t exactly lined up with the seam. I did unpick it and re-place it, promise. But it’s still a really neat finish.

The finished fit of these is very similar to an Oxford Bag trouser. The size I made which fitted at the waist and hip is very wide in the leg and I did lengthen them to  a full length rather than a capri.

IMG_7112

Sexy ? Non ! Confortable ? Mais oui !

 

 

Republique du Chiffon pantalon Alphonse

The Tunic of Doom – What went wrong….

It’s simple really, I made a mistake in transferring markings from my draft pattern to the garment pattern.

IMG_6984

I’m not sure if it’s obvious from here but the side front pattern piece should have followed the red line and not the original pencil line (which I had even scribbled out !) I stupidly made my pattern piece from the original outline which meant I had approx 3 cm more fabric in the centre front than the side front. This accounted for the difficulty I had easing in along the seam and in fact was extremely impressed that I had actually managed to achieve this under the circumstances. The resultant mismatch between the pieces pulled the whole bodice out of shape. Once this had been identified as the source of the problem it was back to work to make the pattern piece correctly.

IMG_6985

The bit with the scribbles on is the original and wrong piece, so you can clearly see my error.

I then made up two new side fronts in calico and re-inserted them. The garment looks even more terrible now but it fits beautifully !! Thank goodness for my tutor who spotted what was wrong very quickly AND made me put it right.

IMG_6986

All I need to do now is source some fabric I actually like and give this another go.

 

The Tunic of Doom – What went wrong….