Sew Over It Silk Cami

I choose this pattern when I joined the Sew Over It pdf club and as I’ve now made two in a week you could say I like it !

The first one I made was in a very lightweight cotton/silk blend fabric that I bought in the Truro Fabrics shop when on holiday last year. The second one is a viscose from Close and Hamblin in Winchester which I bought last week for making a pair of Tania Culottes but after cutting them out had quite a lot of fabric left over and thought best to use it up straight away rather than stash it. (I’ve got so many bits of fabric 0.7m-1.0m left over from various projects and I MUST make an effort to use them up !)

The pattern has four pieces, two for the main body and two for the facing. The instructions on the whole are very clear although somewhere around instructions 13 and 14 you really do need to do some under stitching on the facing otherwise it just rolls out, this was especially the case with the lightweight silk/cotton fabric.

I cut a 14 and the fit is pretty good on me, I don’t really have the armhole gaping issues that some other people have complained about so I’m happy about that. I think I prefer the green floral top as the silk one is quite see through. If I make another one with such lightweight fabric I’ll do a full length facing.

This is the silk one.

IMG_6243

This is the viscose one. (Note to self, brush hair before taking photo…)

IMG_6337  IMG_6294  IMG_6335

Here’s hoping for a continuation of the sunny weather. I might make some more of these….

Sew Over It Silk Cami

Tilly and the Buttons Bettine dress

At Tilly’s stand at the Knitting and Stitching show at Olympia my friend Suzanne bought the Cleo dress pattern and was offered a second pattern which I took, the Bettine dress. I’ve seen lots of these around but never tempted to make it myself as I thought the style was too young for me but then I came across Lisa from Sew Over It’s review and thought it might be a possibility.

I had two metres of really inexpensive floaty viscose fabric that I bought last year from The Truro Fabrics shop when on holiday for making a blouse and thought I’d try that. However, looking at Lisa’s static ‘cling’ I thought I would make the skirt out of two layers of fabric rather than one. I also decided to add 8cm to the length of the pattern. (This was ironed flat for cutting out !)

IMG_6185

I then merrily cut out the two top pieces, four skirt pieces and the pocket linings before realising that with the extra skirt length and the two extra skirt pieces I had run out of fabric ! I managed to squeeze in the back neck facing and one pocket bag before giving in and piecing scraps for the remaining pocket bag and the front facing. There was no way enough for the sleeve turn ups and tabs. (Which actually turned out to be a good thing….)

As with the Marigold trousers Tilly’s photo instructions were very clear and easy to follow. Once I had made the top I tried it on and it was obvious that it was just long enough and that if I made the elastic casing as instructed the top would be too short to ‘blouse’. I cunningly used the twin layers of the skirt to create the elastic casing there and attached the top to the skirt with a much narrower seam allowance, which has worked well.

I found that I REALLY didn’t like the all-in-one sleeves as they pulled at the shoulders and around my armpits so I just cut 7.5 cm of them off leaving more of a cap sleeve (See, I didn’t need the cuffs and sleeve tabs at all….)

Sadly I don’t have a photographer so I can’t take a picture of the dress on me. It’s just knee length and it has turned out much nicer than I thought it would. The top is really light and floaty and the double layered skirt hangs well, I also think the two layers of skirt fabric help to stop the pockets from drooping in this lightweight fabric.

IMG_6184IMG_6183

A surprisingly good result.

Tilly and the Buttons Bettine dress

The Ellie Travel Case, Bee Style.

So you know those days when you spend far too much time on the internet reading other people’s blogs ? I was doing just that yesterday when I came across Fabric Mutt’s Ellie Travel Case and thought I’d give it a go.

This bag is made entirely from scraps; the very last bit left over from The Bee Cushion, denim scraps from my Morgan jeans, and the lining  from my Southport dress cutouts. the ‘batting’ is from a jacket lining kit I bought in a fit of enthusiasm for making a tailored jacket but for which I have not yet developed sufficient skill…..

The zip is an old one from a bag of random zips I got from eBay but which I’ve never managed to match up with any previous makes.

Fabric mutt’s instructions and photo tutorial are really clear and potential items of difficulty are pointed out and explained although they didn’t account for me having to sew through 6 layers of denim weight fabric to attach the handles (breaking 3 size 90 needles in the process !)

IMG_6099

The lining went in well.

IMG_6103

And I’m quite pleased with the end result especially as I’ve never made anything like this before. The finished item is washbag sized and I think it’s really cute.

IMG_6098

IMG_6108

 

The Ellie Travel Case, Bee Style.