When I first saw the pattern for this ‘A’frame skirt from Blueprints for Sewing I knew I had to make it. I love the simple ‘A’ line shape of the skirt, the longer length, and the panels for interest.
The fabric I used was bought from eBay and was described as ‘wool’, its not like any wool I have ever come across before being more like a light canvas or linen and quite stiff even after washing, but it was inexpensive so I thought it would do for a first go at this pattern.
I cut a size E at the waist grading to an F at the hips, the instructions are really clear and well illustrated, especially for grading between sizes which I think contributed to the fit of the finished skirt which I was really pleased with and needed no further fiddling about with.
I played about a bit with the colour blocking so the skirt is asymmetrical but it’s MY skirt and that’s the way I wanted it, so there !
The pattern instructions are for a lapped zip and there is a detailed tutorial for doing this but I decided to put in an invisible zip, my second ever and I am thrilled with the way it has turned out (my first attempt in another garment took 11 attempts to get right !!) This one went straight in.
There is a kick pleat at the back of the skirt and hemming this is the only point where I felt the instructions let me down. The instructions just said hem the skirt all the way round but I found that problematic getting round the folds of the pleat ( 6 layers of fabric) and I had to press like mad to make it look presentable, I’m sure I should have been cutting something or hemming at a different point in the construction to make it easier.
The skirt shown here is my first attempt but I will definitely be making this again as it fits so well (next time I’ll do up the button before taking the photos too).