Kommatia boxy tunic x 2

I saw this top on megsewing and loved it. I bought the pattern from Kommatia patterns straight away but couldn’t find exactly the fabric I wanted until I found this lightish sweatshirt jersey on my fabrics. I downloaded and traced out the pattern and then the wait for the fabric…..on the Monday I received a dispatch notice and thought it might arrive on Wednesday, no joy. I was in all day Thursday except for 5 minutes when I went out to hang the washing on the line. Wouldn’t you know that that 5 minutes was the exact time the postman came and left a card though the letterbox saying I could collect the parcel from the Post Office the following day. So frustrating ! Anyway, on Friday I finally had my hands on the fabric…I was really pleased with it, it’s sort of reversibleIMG_3463

Once I had seen it I realised that I wanted to make a feature of the reverse side of the fabric and decided to do the neck binding and hems in reverse.

I noted from megsewing that she had found the garment to be a bit short so I decided to add 10cm to the body length to ensure my make was long enough to cover my backside. IMG_3464The instructions were very easy to follow and the garment came together very quickly, however when I came to try it on I found that the sleeves were very tight to the extent that I could barely bend my arms ! Oh dear ! The extra length also was too much and it just looked as if I was wearing a sack. What to do ?

I ended up by resewing the sleeve seams with the tiniest seam allowance I thought I could get away with and cut away the length from the front to make a hi/lo bottom hem.

This is the end productIMG_3536

I really like the way the reverse trim has worked out.

IMG_3547I’m actually very pleased with it although I may have cut the front a little high and would do it a couple of cm lower next time.My daughter loves it and I can see it may ‘vanish’ from my wardrobe in the near future unless I make her one of her own PDQ !

Ok, so today I decided to make the second one for my daughter. I had bought two lots of fabric, blue and grey so she got the grey. She asked for it to be big all over with a straight hem so I left the hem as per the pattern +4 inches and increased the sleeve width.

 

I’m amazed how such small changes can completely alter the look of a garment. I think I prefer the style of the blue, but she seems very happy with the grey longline version.

Advertisements
Kommatia boxy tunic x 2

One thought on “Kommatia boxy tunic x 2

  1. I’m glad it came together at the end!! I can’t blame your daughter this top looks so nice and cosy. Lovely detail with the contrasting inside fabric.
    I understand what you mean about the sleeve. I thought I might have gone a size smaller then I should have but go bigger in the sleeve seams the next time a sew it up and see if that fixes the fitting. Thanks for the tip!
    I love the hi/lo hem and sorry but I’m definitely gonna have to steal that idea for my next version 🙂

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s